Monday 29 December 2014

Recent Reads








It's almost impossible to load photos on Blogger these days, I've had several attempts and had to revert to the iPad.  One day I must change to another service.



Some Recent Reads I've enjoyed (in no particular order)
Do No Harm by Henry Marsh - non-fiction, brain surgery, graphic in parts.
Us by David Nicholls - older main characters, the anatomy of an unlikely marriage.  I found wife & son tiresome, but it was well written and poignant.
The Importance of being Kennedy by Laurie Graham - a re-read, fiction about the Kennedy family
The Two Faces of January by Patricia Highsmith - not my thing, seems a bit clumsy
The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty - she's becoming one of my favourite writers
Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald, - Indian Mutiny, great stuff, long
A Long Walk Home by Judith Tebutt, non-fiction about her kidnapping by Somali pirates, gripping at first, some longueurs inevitably
Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe, very funny yet sad in parts
Coromandel Sea Change by Rumer Godden, not my favourite of her books
Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.  As we know the plot, I didn't find it as absorbing as Wolf Hall, but I'm looking forward to Damian Lewis as Henry VIII on television

Television I've enjoyed or found gripping in 2014
The Fall
Homeland, apart from the last episode
Strictly (sorry - saw it on son's large TV at Christmas and it did look, well, over-glitzed)
Happy Valley
Last Tango in Halifax
Great British Bake Off
and the usual stuff like Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile(!)












No comments: